Thursday, August 14, 2014


Welcome to Verona!
Huge doors, HUGE.

I LOVE how colorful Italy is.

The fanciest way to announce a WC that I've ever seen.

Don't know who the larger woman is...fortunately she's holding Nike, so I was able to understand part of it.






Verona's coliseum is certainly not as large as Rome's but it's Rome's miniature.
Even this part is the same.

But this baby puts on operas and plays.  Good on you Verona.


And thus begins our hunt for Juliet's balcony.

Later in the day we ate a the pizzeria on this street.


Strange how cave drawings from France made it's way to a random wall in Verona.





While wondering aimlessly it's good to stop for some mood boosting treats.

Apparently Jelly came to Italy with out her parents.
Classic architecture, nice...stuck under modern architecture, crappy.

Quite a few stones had these swirls, no idea why.  I'm going with something completely logical, like fossilized gigantic snails.

The end of the road for us.  Nice view but still not the balcony.

Diving back into the old town we found this square.



That lead to this square.

I feel that this man is openly judging me. The next two are less open about their disapproval.


 
Dante in the middle of this square, why, I don't know.  But he was flanked by the judging statues above the entrances.




The square was lovely though.

Just through the passage from Dante's square, that's what I've named it was this oddly cramped area full of ornate tombs.






Through yet another passage way from Dante's square.


A nod to some Austrians.  They probably ran Verona for a while.

A tomb in the center of the square, but I don't read Italian so I'm not sure what it's all about.  It's covered over in plexi and at least 10 feet down.



Juliet's Balcony
We made it!

People's wishes and hopes of love, you know, on bandaids.



My favorite requests of Juliet.

So many things I like about this picture, the gate is amazing and colorful, the two people groping Juliet, but the look on the guys face is the best part, it's beyond pervy.


The Balcony itself.  I wonder, honestly, how long after the play was written did this become a tourist attraction.


I know the English version, time to learn the Italian.

That man has a baby monkey on his back.


Another square we wandered into.  This one was very crowded, so we didn't stay long.




The pizzeria has Lemon Soda, the best drink ever, and a tv, the worst way to ruin a meal ever.

Gasp! Caught in the act.

If you ever venture to Verona don't buy the 2Euro map outside the parking garage.  
The map will get you hopelessly lost.  It's easier to follow the signs to where you want to go.  














No comments: