Sunday, August 17, 2014

Ephesus Part One
Left the ship in Kusadasi and began our adventure.



Wait, I changed my mind, I want to go to the water park!
Awe, I wanted to go to the water park...
Hello Mary, we are finally here.
I'm guessing Christian.
The floor and the cistern date to the first century, the rest not so much.
Handsome isn't he?
No pictures inside but there isn't much to see really.  A small room with an alter.  There are also a couple of gifts from various Popes in there.

Leave your prayers outside.
The Holy Water Faucet...I expected a fountain or a pool, not turn it off turn it on style faucets. I laughed way too hard, the serious tourists weren't pleased.



These are prayers to Mary tied on a fence...tissue prayers.  Hopefully they weren't used first.
Glad we got there when we did. No waiting in line for us.
The logo. According to local history Mary went to Turkey with St. John.  He built her a house on the top of a hill/mountain where she lived and from which she ascended to heaven body and soul.


The cistern.
I'm a sucker for cool plant pots.



Mary was there to welcome us and to say goodbye.  This lovely, and large, statue was given by a group from the US and another group from another place.

No comments: