Monday, April 21, 2014


Florence

Ironically now proud to be the home of Dante Alighieri. He was kicked out of the city and never returned.

This Cathedral greeted us nearly as soon as we got off the bus.

The Mickey Mouse sign was held by our tour guide.  She was very nice, but didn't really give the best info or tour.

Carlo Collodi is also from Florence.  Pinocchio is in every children's shop.

Lovely aren't they.

Firenze is Florence...why do we change the name?  Why? WHY!?

Dante's home and even his church are landmarks.  

This is the most expensive hotel in Florence I'm told.  It looks like an old water tower...maybe it was.
The front and main entrance to Il Duomo.

What once was the largest dome in the world.

The pictures don't come close to showing how beautiful this actually is.  The dark bits are green, just pretend you can see it.

The main entrance to the baptistery, which is not part of the church.  You must be baptized before you can enter the church.  There are famous doors around the corner that our tour guide failed to show or mention.

I just feel like this little lamb is proud of his flag.
The Not David...which our tour guide also failed to mention.  If I hadn't read up on Florence I might not have been mad about our tour, but I did and I was.

Walking across the Ponte Vecchio.

The view out one side of the bridge.

And the other side.

A very small area to put locks on, but if there is a place to do it it will be done.

The view from the top.

A security light I'm sure, but it looks like corn!
Fake David is in the Piazza della Signoria. There are so many other beautiful statues there.  It was so crowded that I wasn't able to get close pictures.




The Fountain of Neptune.  Though, as Percy Jackson fans, we call him Poseidon.





Its hard to tell but this statue is crazy gorey.  All the gooey bits are hanging out of the decapitated head and body.


Nope, I'm still taller.

These are the beautiful doors of the Baptistery, The Gates of Paradise.

We've been there!

I just wanted to hang out by the water with these people.  The thought of getting back on the bus made me want to cry.


 Off to Pisa We Go!


There it is, all leaning and what not.

Way too sunny for eyes to stay open.



As ornate as the tower is from a distance, it also has randomly scattered reliefs.




Py's favorite part of being in Italy was seeing this everywhere.

The shady side of the tower.

Much better for pictures...except LY had had enough, there would be no smiling.






The tower is actually part of a complex, who knew.


What a great lawn for picnics, Frisbee, and napping.

Farewell Florence and Piza.  Florence I love you, I'll be back.  Pisa, not so much, but I like your tower.









No comments: